Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Visit to the Guilin Tea Plantation

Back on the 2nd of this month I visited the Guilin tea plantation with my wife and 2 other couples (Julian, the husband of one couple, works at CH and Elise, the wife of the other couple, used to). I didn’t know Guilin had a tea plantation until being invited on this outing.



We all got to wear these traditional Chinese farmer hats, which shield one from the rain and the sun. It was quite showery that day, but we soon had to surrender the hats when we left the plantation viewing area. Once inside, the lady in the next photo, one of the plantation’s own guide team, showed us the various processes by which tea can be made: drying, turning, the layering of flowers to make scented tea and roasting. Then we went to experience a session of tea tasting.


It was similar to what I had experienced in Beijing 4 years ago when I first came to China. One is supposed to drink the tea in 3 sips whilst savoring the flavor. If you drink the small cup in one draft you are said to be a water buffalo. The tea was amazing and just the right temperature. I particularly liked the Oolong tea which went down nicely with a warm honey flavor. The plantation guide assured me they didn’t put any honey or anything in the tea. It was just made from those green tea leaves that you see on the bushes above. Amazing how all those different flavors come out of the same type of leaves, just depending on how they are dried and processed.

My wife May and I are holding a nicely boxed block of compressed tea. Compressed tea lasts for years apparently, but we bought a tube of oolong tea and a tube of jasmine tea. Having been drinking them for the last three weeks I find the flavor is best when the water is almost boiling, when it has just cooled down enough to drink. I can get 3 or 4 teapots of tea from a good pinch or two of jasmine scented leaves or oolong pellets.

No comments:

Post a Comment