Monday, June 15, 2009

Balsamine

It is the time for balsamine bloom. Seeing the bright-colored flowers, I recalled childhood when I painted fingernails with balsamine.

After dinner of summer night, my old sister and I begun our work: took some balsamine paste on a nail and wrapped it with hemp leave. After one night sleeping, finger nails turned orange red and a little sweet.

In fact, preparation job had started before dinner. When adults were busy on cooking, children slid out to collect hemp leaves and balsamine; and then mashed up balsamine with a little of salt or white alum. Hemp leaves were soft and pliable, uneasy broken, so could keep the juice off overflow; salt or white alum could help the juice to be painted on nail more easily. After dinner, there was enough juice to be used to paint all fingers.After leaving home for study till now, I saw more and more kinds of nail-polish. They are red, pink, purple, and even black; colorful and gorgeous. But I don’t like them because they are always pungent.

No comments:

Post a Comment