Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Children’s Day


Today is Children's Day in China, we usually call it "June 1st International Children's Day" in China. But we know some countries don't celebrate Children's Day.  Nowadays, all the children under the age of 16 will have one day free on June 1st. But when I was a child some 10 years ago, we are supposed to hold a celebration with dances and singing on June 1st to celebrate the Children's Day. Since I'm from a small village school with no more than 150 students, we don't have enough students to hold such a big celebration, so we have the gathering at a larger school. It is about 6 kms from my home, it will take me 1 hour on foot, so I have to get up very early and walk to the larger school to attend the celebration.

We watch the performance on the playground, there was no roof for the playground, so we sit under sun for 2 hours, I was never chosen to be a performer for the celebration, because I was too shy. Usually, we were requested to wear white trousers and blue shirts to attend the celebration. Some students with good performance in study will be rewarded with pencil and notebook.

Since the school is too far from my home, so I can't get back to home for lunch. My parents give me 1 yuan for lunch, but I usually spend 5 Jiao (half of one yuan) and return the balance to my parents, while other children will spend all the money they have on candies and Popsicle. I believe my parents worried that I was too stupid to spend money.  

By Leon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment