Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chinese Calligraphy

Last Monday, when I visited Jean's home, I happened to find a Chinese Brush, a bottle of ink and some pieces of paper with Chinese characters on them. That must be Jean's work. It was amazing to see it as in this very modern society, very few people (except for some elder people) are learning how to use the traditional Brush for the beautiful calligraphy. It reminds me of my childhood when every pupil was required to learn to use brush. At that time, I resist to learn anything about calligraphy. What a big loss.

Then I pretended to be a master, sit on the chair and began to write with the brush. Luckily, I did not forget how to hold the brush which related to body posture. Hold the brush firmly and keep it straight and vertical to the desk, no slanted angle at all. I kept the steps and finally got my work out. Originally, I planned to post my work for this blog, after further consideration, I hesitated to do it as it is really a bad work.

Here, I would like to share a piece of art work by the famous ancient calligrapher, Zhuxi. I really enjoyed it when I visited Xidi Village in Huangshan last November. Look at the picture, it is a Chinese character of Xiao (Filial Piety). If we make a middle cut up and down, the right side looks like a man and the left sone would be a monkey. It is said that to show your piety to the seniority, then you would be a man; if not, you would be a monkey. It is really a good representation of the traditional Chinese culture which is a culture of Xiao (Filial Piety).

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sunny, I would to see your works, can you pleaes upload at least one?

    ReplyDelete