Tuesday, March 10, 2009

UFO99 and 69377

UFO99 and 69377


More cars have been appearing on the streets in recent years. Traffic jams happen more frequently nowadays. According to the previous regulations, car registration numbers were composed of five numbers, which meant no more than 100,000 vehicles could be registered. However, a year ago, car ownership increased too fast and it reached the maximum level allowable by the old system. So the local government began a new format for car registration numbers, any two letters followed by three numbers. People who buy a new car in 2009 are using the new car numbering system.

Most people select two letters from their name and pick up three lucky numbers, such as 6, 8 or 9 to be their car number. My colleague Yang Xie (Karen) bought a Honda in January, 2009. Her car number is YX601. YX are her initials.

When the new rule came out, things became interesting. I have seen cars with numbers like PK555, LV888 and UF099 (the number 0 looks like the letter ‘o’, so it contains the acronym UFO – unidentified flying object!).

Of course, I prefer my car number 69377. Although it is meaningless, as it was just chosen by a traffic computer system, I like it. Since it came with my first car, I hoped the number would bring peace and good luck to me. And it has.





David Zhou

No comments:

Post a Comment