Friday, March 27, 2009

A Hiking Trip to Li River

Spring has arrived. It’s time to take some sports. After a hard determination, I finally decide to join this hiking trip that Steven asked thought I have done this “hard journey” several times.
Li River is a famous river in Guilin even in China for its clear water and beautiful landscape. Many world-class celebrities like Bill Clinton, George Bush, Deng Xiaoping… have visited this river.
Former US President Nixon praised Guilin: "I have visited more than 80 countries and over a hundred cities. I have found that no city can surpass the beauty of Guilin." I believe 80% of his praise is about the natural landscape along Li River.
These celebrities choose comfortable cruises while we decided to hike – to fully enjoy and merge into its beauty though it might be a little bit exhausting.
We started our hiking trip at Yangdi Village, ended at Xingping Village with a total length of 16 km. This is the normal hiking route. I’m not sure whether there are more hiking routes. Perhaps I’ll take a try someday for a new exploration.
It was a nice day. And it was amazing that there were so many people there preparing to hike.
At the start, we were asked to buy tickets for this hiking which is CNY 16 Yuan for each person. With this ticket we can take four free boat transfers to the opposite river bank. I don’t why. If you want to successfully finish your hiking, you have to take these transfers. Probably because of there are some blocks or dead-ended paths if you only walk in one side.
The 1st transfer is at Yangdi Village where so many people were waiting for the narrow boat. Oops, I almost forget to tell you, it was REALLY nice to see the hills around the silver ribbon-like Li River. Exciting? It’s too early to say it! There were more adventures waiting for us.
About half an hour time we arrived at small village named Langshi Village. What delighted us is the fields there are decked with Rapes and Lilies! Combining with the mountains and river, I asked myself: “is this paradise?” Girls were even more exciting, they jumped into the flower sea laughing and singing. Taking pictures? Sure, come on, guys! Let’s take a snapshot, let’s bring this beautiful moment home!
After several hours’ hiking, we were a little bit hungry which means it was time to have lunch. There are several local farmers’ restaurants along the river and there are many stalls along the paths we were hiking selling waters and snacks. So you never have to worry about your meals. I had packed enough food for hiking and I know I was wrong when I saw these so many food suppliers.
The highlight of this hiking trip would be Xingping Village – the ending of this hiking route. The most classic Chinese painting now present in front of my eyes. We were shouting: “How beautiful!” Hills reflected on the river, fisherman fishing with their birds on the river. Everything there was harmonious. That’s why Chinese 20 Yuan note uses Xingping as its illustration.
The trip ended at 5:00 pm. We’ve walked about 6 hours! But we even did not feel tired. Why? I don’t know, maybe the picturesque landscape have taken the exhausts away.
I am happy that the result of my “hard determination” was definitely NOT so hard but impressive and joyful.
I’m sure you’ll experience it some day, aren’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment