Saturday, February 28, 2009

The heart of our flat.



Many of my overseas friends often ask me how I manage to cope with the different culture in China, the social requirements here and the challenges of everyday life in a totally alien language in general. I then tell them that it is not so difficult as long as there is place to go back to when the batteries are empty.
For me this place is my home library. This is the place where I and my wife spend most of our time in the evening. When I feel unhappy or angry, or I think of taking the next flight back to Germany, I go here and find peace. At the moment we have only 600 books of our combined collection here in Guilin: Half Chinese from my wife and half in European languages from me. We still have a few hundred copies in Europe and in my wifes hometown and hope to reunite them with their brothers and sisters soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment