Thursday, February 5, 2009

Unforgettable experience on the train back to Guilin (Part 2)


I really enjoyed the time to sit in that carriage since I could read my book comfortably. However, the great time always goes fast. After 3 hours drive, we came to another station called Lilin, a city of Hunan province. When we saw lots of people waiting outside of our carriage, we knew it was time to stand up again. The passengers who just got on the train were starting to find their seats. They came into the carriage one by one. Everybody held a ticket looking for their seats. As time went by, we heard the words which we definitely did not want to hear in our life …“I am sorry but this is my seat”. At that time, I guessed everybody sitting there was starting to pray. They prayed that the guy who should sit there missed this train. I did not know what was in their mind. But at least I prayed like that. 

I must say I was very lucky since no body came to my seat to ask me to get out of the seat. So I just sat there. People who did not have a seat ticket had to give the seats back to the tickets holders, which was really sad. I looked around, there were lots of people standing on the narrow corridor of our carriage again. A lady came closer to me and was busy making phone calls somebody. And I thought it must be hard for her to stand for several hours.

 

The train started to move forward again. And I continued to read my book. Since the train has left the station and no body came to my seat, I just assumed I would sit there until I arrive in Guilin. But Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get. After half an hour, the lady standing by me has finished her calls and talked to me. “I am sorry but this is my seat”. Oh my god, it has come finally. You can image how embarrassed I am. I even showed my sympathy for her. That was really funny.

So I had to stand on the corridor of the train again. Two hours later, I found my legs numb. The shaking legs told me I could not stand anymore. So I tore down the cover page of the magazine, put it on the floor, and then sat on it.

It was tough to sit there since people needed to pass by to go to the public toilet. Each time, when people coming, I wish I could be as thin as a piece of paper. Because each time, you needed to turn around your body to let them pass by smoothly. But that was not the worst thing. The worst thing was that the train attendant pulled their cart to sell snacks. During this time you had to stand up and move to some place where you could let the cart go through the crowds. After that, you still need to stand to wait for her back. My god, that’s the most terrible thing on the night. We appreciate that the snacks were so expensive that no body bought anything. So she came back very soon. 

Two hours later, it was 2AM. Everyone in our carriage started to doze. At that time, a voice seemed coming from heaven… “Please keep an eye on your belongings!” I was awake and reluctant to open my eyes to find where the voice came from. A policeman holding a loudspeaker came into our carriage. The voice coming from heaven (we thought!) was actually made by his loudspeaker! The voice was repeated again and again…Well, everybody opened their eyes and stared at the policeman. Some passengers started to feel their pockets unconsciously. No doubt, they were feeling their wallet, cell phone or other valuables. I was really confused by the policeman’s behavior. Yes, he reminded us, but at the same time, the thief may aim their targets as well. The thief’s aim definitely was the ones who felt their pockets unconsciously just now.

About 3 hours later (5AM), some passengers started to get off the train. Finally I could sit down on a seat where my destination was about 3 hours to go! That was really an unforgettable experience in 2009.  

No comments:

Post a Comment